PACEP has three different awards that recognize a member’s significant professional contribution to emergency medicine. Each year members can show their appreciation and recognize their colleagues for their leadership and excellence.
Award recipients are announced at the Recognition Awards Dinner that is conducted during the chapter’s annual Scientific Assembly. The recipients will also be recognized in PACEP News.
Emergency Physician of the Year
The award recognizes emergency clinicians of unusual merit who pursue the ideal of emergency medicine. In other words, the award seeks out those practitioners who try to be the best emergency physicians they can be.
Selection criteria require that each nominee be a current member of PACEP, an outstanding emergency physician role model, and an effective patient advocate who:
- Upholds high professional standards
- Maintains an active clinical practice of emergency medicine
- Practices and promotes high quality emergency medical care
- Promots the public image of emergency medicine, and
- Is active in community service and education
Meritorious Award Nominations
The Meritorious Service Award is presented to an individual who has made a significant contribution to emergency medicine in the commonwealth.
The following are examples of significant contribution:
- Patient care, such as new or improved patient care delivery mode or modes, quality care improvements, or cost containment.
- EMS, such as an improved organization, new or improved service, public education disaster plan.
Teachings, such as new or improved teaching method or methods, publications(s), educational program development, evaluation mechanism(s).
- Research, clinical or basic.
- A chapter member, who has significantly helped to promote the purpose and objectives of the chapter.
- Personal leadership - an individual whose character has been exemplified in one or more of the following examples: inspirational, innovative, diplomatic, planner, organizer, manager/administrator, arbitrator, consensus maker, decision maker.
Outstanding Contribution to Emergency Medicine Award
This award was created in 2005 to recognize an individual who has made a significant contribution to the practice or body of knowledge of emergency medicine, or has provided exceptional advocacy to enhance the delivery of emergency care in Pennsylvania. It is not a requirement that the recipient be either a physician or a member of PACEP.